Thursday, April 3, 2008

David's Response to God's Promises


David Wants to Build a Temple

2 Samuel 7

1King David was living in his palace and the LORD had given him peace
from all his enemies around him. 2Then David said to Nathan the prophet, “Look,
I am living in a palace made of cedar wood, but the Ark of God is in a tent!”

3Nathan said to the king, “Go and do what you really want to do, because the
LORD is with you.”

4But that night the LORD spoke his word to Nathan, 5“Go and tell my servant
David, ‘This is what the LORD says: Will you build a house for me to live in?
6From the time I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until now I have not lived in
a house. I have been moving around all this time with a tent as my home. 7As I
have moved with the Israelites, I have never said to the tribes, whom I
commanded to take care of my people Israel, “Why haven’t you built me a house
of cedar?”’

8“You must tell my servant David, ‘This is what the LORD All-Powerful
says: I took you from the pasture and from tending the sheep and made you
leader of my people Israel. 9I have been with you everywhere you have gone and
have defeated your enemies for you. I will make you as famous as any of the
great people on the earth. 10Also I will choose a place for my people Israel, and I
will plant them so they can live in their own homes. They will not be bothered
anymore. Wicked people will no longer bother them as they have in the past
11when I chose judges for my people Israel. But I will give you peace from all
your enemies. I also tell you that I will make your descendants kings of Israel
after you.

12“‘When you die and join your ancestors, I will make one of your sons the
next king, and I will set up his kingdom. 13He will build a house for me, and I
will let his kingdom rule always. 14I will be his father, and he will be my son.
When he sins, I will use other people to punish him. They will be my whips. 15I
took away my love from Saul, whom I removed before you, but I will never stop
loving your son. 16But your family and your kingdom will continue always before
me. Your throne will last forever.’”

17Nathan told David everything God had said in this vision.

David Prays to God

18Then King David went in and sat in front of the LORD. David said, “Lord
GOD, who am I? What is my family? Why did you bring me to this point? 19But
even this is not enough for you, Lord GOD. You have also made promises about
my future family. This is not normal, Lord GOD.

20“What more can I say to you, Lord GOD, since you know me, your servant,
so well! 21You have done this great thing because you said you would and
because you wanted to, and you have let me know about it. 22This is why you are
great, Lord GOD! There is no one like you. There is no God except you. We
have heard all this ourselves! 23There is no nation like your people Israel. They
are the only people on earth that God chose to be his own. You made your name
well known. You did great and wonderful miracles for them. You went ahead of
them and forced other nations and their gods out of the land. You freed your
people from slavery in Egypt. 24You made the people of Israel your very own
people forever, and, LORD, you are their God.

25“Now, LORD God, keep the promise forever that you made about my
family and me, your servant. Do what you have said. 26Then you will be honored
always, and people will say, ‘The LORD All-Powerful is God over Israel!’ And
the family of your servant David will continue before you.

27“LORD All-Powerful, the God of Israel, you have said to me, ‘I will make
your family great.’ So I, your servant, am brave enough to pray to you. 28Lord
GOD, you are God, and your words are true. And you have promised these good
things to me, your servant. 29Please, bless my family. Let it continue before you
always. Lord GOD, you have said so. With your blessing let my family always be
blessed.”

The Holy Bible, New Century Version



SITUATION

David sought to honor God, and God rewarded him with promises for his future. David's response was humble, worshipful prayer.


OBSERVATION

David not only knew about God, he fellowshipped with God. David shows us the value of knowing God better.


INSPIRATION

What is prayer? What do we mean when we say that we pray? Some teaching on prayer makes it seem too vague, mystical, spiritual, or even too difficult for us simple, busy women. However, prayer is practical.


Others imagine that praying is kneeling with closed eyes and speaking in eloquent phrases. This is perhaps one kind of prayer, but I believe prayer is communication with the One who loves us most, the One who cares for us and cherishes us more than anyone else, the One who always has our best interest in His heart and mind. Prayer is an attitude of worship and thanksgiving. And this can be done in any position-standing, sitting, kneeling, or lying down. It can be done any time of day or night-as the old hymn says, ''Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light," We can pray while driving, working, cleaning, playing, waking up to face our day, or when we can't sleep at night. The apostle Paul tells us to 'pray without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17, KJV). For me, more often than not, this means that I pray without ceasing my work. I just talk to the Lord as I carryon my responsibilities.


Prayer is a vital part of every person’s spiritual experience.


We are all aware of how important verbal communication is to any relationship, such as with our spouses, friends, or coworkers. A quick way to destroy a relationship is to avoid talking. Likewise, prayer is simply verbal communication with God. This simple principle was beautifully exemplified by a dear, older friend who passed away recently. He always started his prayers with, "And Lord ....” In other words, he was just continuing where he had left off with his last conversation with God.


Prayer is also the way we get to know God. We pray in order to receive a better understanding of God. Prayer is one of the important elements of nourishing our personal relationships with God.


I have discovered that the more time I spend in prayer, the better I begin to know God Himself and the more I see things from His perspective. This in turn brings the needed transformation in my disposition and attitude, which gives me more strength and serenity.


Prayer doesn't so often change the outward circumstances or our situations as much as it transforms the way we view those circumstances and situations. Often it is our spirits and our attitudes that need changing. (From A Quiet Knowing by Gigi Graham Tchividjian)


APPLICATION

Do you feel like you communicate with God when you pray? Or do your prayers merely fulfill an obligation? Next time you pray, talk to God as you would a friend. Ask God if you need a change in your attitude. Learn to pray continually.


EXPLORATION

Hindrances to Prayer - Micah 3:4; Philippians 4:6; 1 Peter 3:7.



No comments: