Monday, June 2, 2008

Calling to God

An Evening Prayer

Psalm 4

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. WITH STRINGED INSTRUMENTS. A
PSALM OF DAVID.

1Answer me when I pray to you,

my God who does what is right.

Make things easier for me when I am in trouble.

Have mercy on me and hear my prayer.

2People, how long will you turn my honor into shame?

How long will you love what is false and look for new lies?

Selah

3You know that the LORD has chosen for himself those who are loyal to him.

The LORD listens when I pray to him.

4When you are angry, do not sin.

Think about these things quietly

as you go to bed.

Selah

5Do what is right as a sacrifice to the LORD

and trust the LORD.

6Many people ask,

“Who will give us anything good?”

LORD, be kind to us.

7But you have made me very happy,

happier than they are,

even with all their grain and new wine.

8I go to bed and sleep in peace,

because, LORD, only you keep me safe.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Morning Prayer for Protection

Psalm 5

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. FOR FLUTES. A PSALM OF DAVID.

1LORD, listen to my words.

Understand my sadness.

2Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,

because I pray to you.

3LORD, every morning you hear my voice.

Every morning, I tell you what I need,

and I wait for your answer.

4You are not a God who is pleased with the wicked;

you do not live with those who do evil.

5Those people who make fun of you cannot stand before you.

You hate all those who do evil.

6You destroy liars;

the LORD hates those who kill and trick others.

7Because of your great love,

I can come into your Temple.

Because I fear and respect you,

I can worship in your holy Temple.

8LORD, since I have many enemies,

show me the right thing to do.

Show me clearly how you want me to live.

9My enemies’ mouths do not tell the truth;

in their hearts they want to destroy others.

Their throats are like open graves;

they use their tongues for telling lies.

10God, declare them guilty!

Let them fall into their own traps.

Send them away because their sins are many;

they have turned against you.

11But let everyone who trusts you be happy;

let them sing glad songs forever.

Protect those who love you

and who are happy because of you.

12LORD, you bless those who do what is right;

you protect them like a soldier’s shield.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

The Prayer of a Suffering Man

Psalm 22

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. TO THE TUNE OF “THE DOE OF
DAWN.” A PSALM OF DAVID.

1My God, my God, why have you rejected me?

You seem far from saving me,

far from the words of my groaning.

2My God, I call to you during the day,

but you do not answer.

I call at night;

I am not silent.

3You sit as the Holy One.

The praises of Israel are your throne.

4Our ancestors trusted you;

they trusted, and you saved them.

5They called to you for help

and were rescued.

They trusted you

and were not disappointed.

6But I am like a worm instead of a man.

People make fun of me and hate me.

7Those who look at me laugh.

They stick out their tongues and shake their heads.

8They say, “Turn to the LORD for help.

Maybe he will save you.

If he likes you,

maybe he will rescue you.”

9You had my mother give birth to me.

You made me trust you

while I was just a baby.

10I have leaned on you since the day I was born;

you have been my God since my mother gave me birth.

11So don’t be far away from me.

Now trouble is near,

and there is no one to help.

12People have surrounded me like angry bulls.

Like the strong bulls of Bashan, they are on every side.

13Like hungry, roaring lions

they open their mouths at me.

14My strength is gone,

like water poured out onto the ground,

and my bones are out of joint.

My heart is like wax;

it has melted inside me.

15My strength has dried up like a clay pot,

and my tongue sticks to the top of my mouth.

You laid me in the dust of death.

16Evil people have surrounded me;

like dogs they have trapped me.

They have bitten my arms and legs.

17I can count all my bones;

people look and stare at me.

18They divided my clothes among them,

and they threw lots for my clothing.

19But, LORD, don’t be far away.

You are my strength; hurry to help me.

20Save me from the sword;

save my life from the dogs.

21Rescue me from the lion’s mouth;

save me from the horns of the bulls.

22Then I will tell my fellow Israelites about you;

I will praise you in the public meeting.

23Praise the LORD, all you who respect him.

All you descendants of Jacob, honor him;

fear him, all you Israelites.

24He does not ignore those in trouble.

He doesn’t hide from them

but listens when they call out to him.

25LORD, I praise you in the great meeting of your people;

these worshipers will see me do what I promised.

26Poor people will eat until they are full;

those who look to the LORD will praise him.

May your hearts live forever!

27People everywhere will remember

and will turn to the LORD.

All the families of the nations

will worship him

28because the LORD is King,

and he rules the nations.

29All the powerful people on earth will eat and worship.

Everyone will bow down to him,

all who will one day die.

30The people in the future will serve him;

they will always be told about the Lord.

31They will tell that he does what is right.

People who are not yet born

will hear what God has done.

No comments: