Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Confidence

A Song of Trust in God

Psalm 27

OF DAVID.

1The LORD is my light and the one who saves me.

I fear no one.

The LORD protects my life;

I am afraid of no one.

2Evil people may try to destroy my body.

My enemies and those who hate me attack me,

but they are overwhelmed and defeated.

3If an army surrounds me,

I will not be afraid.

If war breaks out,

I will trust the LORD.

4I ask only one thing from the LORD.

This is what I want:

Let me live in the LORD’S house

all my life.

Let me see the LORD’S beauty

and look with my own eyes at his Temple.

5During danger he will keep me safe in his shelter.

He will hide me in his Holy Tent,

or he will keep me safe on a high mountain.

6My head is higher than my enemies around me.

I will offer joyful sacrifices in his Holy Tent.

I will sing and praise the LORD.

7LORD, hear me when I call;

have mercy and answer me.

8My heart said of you, “Go, worship him.”

So I come to worship you, LORD.

9Do not turn away from me.

Do not turn your servant away in anger;

you have helped me.

Do not push me away or leave me alone,

God, my Savior.

10If my father and mother leave me,

the LORD will take me in.

11LORD, teach me your ways,

and guide me to do what is right

because I have enemies.

12Do not hand me over to my enemies,

because they tell lies about me

and say they will hurt me.

13I truly believe

I will live to see the LORD’S goodness.

14Wait for the LORD’S help.

Be strong and brave,

and wait for the LORD’S help.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

Wicked People and a Good God

Psalm 36

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. OF DAVID, THE SERVANT OF THE
LORD.

1Sin speaks to the wicked in their hearts.

They have no fear of God.

2They think too much of themselves

so they don’t see their sin and hate it.

3Their words are wicked lies;

they are no longer wise or good.

4At night they make evil plans;

what they do leads to nothing good.

They don’t refuse things that are evil.

5LORD, your love reaches to the heavens,

your loyalty to the skies.

6Your goodness is as high as the mountains.

Your justice is as deep as the great ocean.

LORD, you protect both people and animals.

7God, your love is so precious!

You protect people in the shadow of your wings.

8They eat the rich food in your house,

and you let them drink from your river of pleasure.

9You are the giver of life.

Your light lets us enjoy life.

10Continue to love those who know you

and to do good to those who are good.

11Don’t let proud people attack me

and the wicked force me away.

12Those who do evil have been defeated.

They are overwhelmed;

they cannot do evil any longer.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

An Old Person’s Prayer

Psalm 71

1In you, LORD, is my protection.

Never let me be ashamed.

2Because you do what is right, save and rescue me;

listen to me and save me.

3Be my place of safety

where I can always come.

Give the command to save me,

because you are my rock and my strong, walled city.

4My God, save me from the power of the wicked

and from the hold of evil and cruel people.

5LORD, you are my hope.

LORD, I have trusted you since I was young.

6I have depended on you since I was born;

you helped me even on the day of my birth.

I will always praise you.

7I am an example to many people,

because you are my strong protection.

8I am always praising you;

all day long I honor you.

9Do not reject me when I am old;

do not leave me when my strength is gone.

10My enemies make plans against me,

and they meet together to kill me.

11They say, “God has left him.

Go after him and take him,

because no one will save him.”

12God, don’t be far off.

My God, hurry to help me.

13Let those who accuse me

be ashamed and destroyed.

Let those who are trying to hurt me

be covered with shame and disgrace.

14But I will always have hope

and will praise you more and more.

15I will tell how you do what is right.

I will tell about your salvation all day long,

even though it is more than I can tell.

16I will come and tell about your powerful works, Lord GOD.

I will remind people that only you do what is right.

17God, you have taught me since I was young.

To this day I tell about the miracles you do.

18Even though I am old and gray,

do not leave me, God.

I will tell the children about your power;

I will tell those who live after me about your might.

19God, your justice reaches to the skies.

You have done great things;

God, there is no one like you.

20You have given me many troubles and bad times,

but you will give me life again.

When I am almost dead,

you will keep me alive.

21You will make me greater than ever,

and you will comfort me again.

22I will praise you with the harp.

I trust you, my God.

I will sing to you with the lyre,

Holy One of Israel.

23I will shout for joy when I sing praises to you.

You have saved me.

24I will tell about your justice all day long.

And those who want to hurt me

will be ashamed and disgraced.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

God Protects Those Who Trust Him

Psalm 125

A SONG FOR GOING UP TO WORSHIP.

1Those who trust the LORD are like Mount Zion,

which sits unmoved forever.

2As the mountains surround Jerusalem,

the LORD surrounds his people

now and forever.

3The wicked will not rule

over those who do right.

If they did, the people who do right

might use their power to do evil.

4LORD, be good to those who are good,

whose hearts are honest.

5But, LORD, when you remove those who do evil,

also remove those who stop following you.

Let there be peace in Israel.

No comments: