Thursday, June 5, 2008

Doubt

Wishing to Be Near God

Psalm 42

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. A MASKIL OF THE SONS OF KORAH.

1As a deer thirsts for streams of water,

so I thirst for you, God.

2I thirst for the living God.

When can I go to meet with him?

3Day and night, my tears have been my food.

People are always saying,

“Where is your God?”

4When I remember these things,

I speak with a broken heart.

I used to walk with the crowd

and lead them to God’s Temple

with songs of praise.

5Why am I so sad?

Why am I so upset?

I should put my hope in God

and keep praising him,

my Savior and 6my God.

I am very sad.

So I remember you where the Jordan River begins,

near the peaks of Hermon and Mount Mizar.

7Troubles have come again and again, sounding like waterfalls.

Your waves are crashing all around me.

8The LORD shows his true love every day.

At night I have a song,

and I pray to my living God.

9I say to God, my Rock,

“Why have you forgotten me?

Why am I sad

and troubled by my enemies?”

10My enemies’ insults make me feel

as if my bones were broken.

They are always saying,

“Where is your God?”

11Why am I so sad?

Why am I so upset?

I should put my hope in God

and keep praising him,

my Savior and my God.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

BOOK 3

Should the Wicked Be Rich?

Psalm 73

A PSALM OF ASAPH.

1God is truly good to Israel,

to those who have pure hearts.

2But I had almost stopped believing;

I had almost lost my faith

3because I was jealous of proud people.

I saw wicked people doing well.

4They are not suffering;

they are healthy and strong.

5They don’t have troubles like the rest of us;

they don’t have problems like other people.

6They wear pride like a necklace

and put on violence as their clothing.

7They are looking for profits

and do not control their selfish desires.

8They make fun of others and speak evil;

proudly they speak of hurting others.

9They brag to the sky.

They say that they own the earth.

10So their people turn to them

and give them whatever they want.

11They say, “How can God know?

What does God Most High know?”

12These people are wicked,

always at ease, and getting richer.

13So why have I kept my heart pure?

Why have I kept my hands from doing wrong?

14I have suffered all day long;

I have been punished every morning.

15God, if I had decided to talk like this,

I would have let your people down.

16I tried to understand all this,

but it was too hard for me to see

17until I went to the Temple of God.

Then I understood what will happen to them.

18You have put them in danger;

you cause them to be destroyed.

19They are destroyed in a moment;

they are swept away by terrors.

20It will be like waking from a dream.

Lord, when you rise up, they will disappear.

21When my heart was sad

and I was angry,

22I was senseless and stupid.

I acted like an animal toward you.

23But I am always with you;

you have held my hand.

24You guide me with your advice,

and later you will receive me in honor.

25I have no one in heaven but you;

I want nothing on earth besides you.

26My body and my mind may become weak,

but God is my strength.

He is mine forever.

27Those who are far from God will die;

you destroy those who are unfaithful.

28But I am close to God, and that is good.

The Lord GOD is my protection.

I will tell all that you have done.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

Remembering God’s Help

Psalm 77

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. FOR JEDUTHUN. A PSALM OF ASAPH.

1I cry out to God;

I call to God, and he will hear me.

2I look for the Lord on the day of trouble.

All night long I reach out my hands,

but I cannot be comforted.

3When I remember God, I become upset;

when I think, I become afraid.

Selah

4You keep my eyes from closing.

I am too upset to say anything.

5I keep thinking about the old days,

the years of long ago.

6At night I remember my songs.

I think and I ask myself:

7“Will the Lord reject us forever?

Will he never be kind to us again?

8Is his love gone forever?

Has he stopped speaking for all time?

9Has God forgotten mercy?

Is he too angry to pity us?”

Selah

10Then I say “This is what makes me sad:

For years the power of God Most High was with us.”

11I remember what the LORD did;

I remember the miracles you did long ago.

12I think about all the things you did

and consider your deeds.

13God, your ways are holy.

No god is as great as our God.

14You are the God who does miracles;

you have shown people your power.

15By your power you have saved your people,

the descendants of Jacob and Joseph.

Selah

16God, the waters saw you;

they saw you and became afraid;

the deep waters shook with fear.

17The clouds poured down their rain.

The sky thundered.

Your lightning flashed back and forth like arrows.

18Your thunder sounded in the whirlwind.

Lightning lit up the world.

The earth trembled and shook.

19You made a way through the sea

and paths through the deep waters,

but your footprints were not seen.

20You led your people like a flock

by using Moses and Aaron.

No comments: