Saturday, July 21, 2007

What Can I Do To Forgive Myself?













By Billy Graham

Q: I did something very terrible almost 20 years ago, and I've hated
myself ever since. But if I can't forgive myself for what I did, how
can I ever expect God to forgive me? I thought I'd get over my guilt
feelings as time went by, but I haven't. - Mrs. L.W.




A: Let me ask you this: If you could know beyond a shadow of a doubt
that God had completely forgiven you, what reason would you have to
keep feeling guilty? The answer is simple: none.




And this is what God offers you right now: complete and total
forgiveness, no matter what you've done. How is this possible? It is
possible for one reason: Every sin you ever committed was transferred
to Christ when He died on the cross for you. He was God's Son,
completely free of sin - but He willingly took our sins upon Himself,
and He paid the penalty we deserved. The Bible puts it this way: "For
God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so
that we could be made right with God through Christ" (2 Corinthians
5:21, NLT).




Don't carry this burden any longer. God doesn't want you to do so -
and neither should you. Instead, by a simple prayer of faith tell God
you know you are a sinner and are sorry for your sins, but that you
are trusting Jesus Christ to cleanse you and save you.




God's promise is for you: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and
just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all
unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). And if memories from the past return,
immediately stop and thank God for forgiving you, freely and fully.




Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: