Friday, June 13, 2008

Mercy

A Prayer for God to Be Near

Psalm 13

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. A PSALM OF DAVID.

1How long will you forget me, LORD? Forever?

How long will you hide from me?

2How long must I worry

and feel sad in my heart all day?

How long will my enemy win over me?

3LORD, look at me.

Answer me, my God;

tell me, or I will die.

4Otherwise my enemy will say, “I have won!”

Those against me will rejoice that I’ve been defeated.

5I trust in your love.

My heart is happy because you saved me.

6I sing to the LORD

because he has taken care of me.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Prayer in Troubled Times

Psalm 28

OF DAVID.

1LORD, my Rock, I call out to you for help.

Do not be deaf to me.

If you are silent,

I will be like those in the grave.

2Hear the sound of my prayer,

when I cry out to you for help.

I raise my hands

toward your Most Holy Place.

3Don’t drag me away with the wicked,

with those who do evil.

They say “Peace” to their neighbors,

but evil is in their hearts.

4Pay them back for what they have done,

for their evil deeds.

Pay them back for what they have done;

give them their reward.

5They don’t understand what the LORD has done

or what he has made.

So he will knock them down

and not lift them up.

6Praise the LORD,

because he heard my prayer for help.

7The LORD is my strength and shield.

I trust him, and he helps me.

I am very happy,

and I praise him with my song.

8The LORD is powerful;

he gives victory to his chosen one.

9Save your people

and bless those who are your own.

Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Cry for Help

Psalm 86

A PRAYER OF DAVID.

1LORD, listen to me and answer me.

I am poor and helpless.

2Protect me, because I worship you.

My God, save me, your servant who trusts in you.

3Lord, have mercy on me,

because I have called to you all day.

4Give happiness to me, your servant,

because I give my life to you, Lord.

5Lord, you are kind and forgiving

and have great love for those who call to you.

6LORD, hear my prayer,

and listen when I ask for mercy.

7I call to you in times of trouble,

because you will answer me.

8Lord, there is no god like you

and no works like yours.

9Lord, all the nations you have made

will come and worship you.

They will honor you.

10You are great and you do miracles.

Only you are God.

11LORD, teach me what you want me to do,

and I will live by your truth.

Teach me to respect you completely.

12Lord, my God, I will praise you with all my heart,

and I will honor your name forever.

13You have great love for me.

You have saved me from death.

14God, proud men are attacking me;

a gang of cruel men is trying to kill me.

They do not respect you.

15But Lord, you are a God who shows mercy and is kind.

You don’t become angry quickly.

You have great love and faithfulness.

16Turn to me and have mercy.

Give me, your servant, strength.

Save me, the son of your female servant.

17Show me a sign of your goodness.

When my enemies look, they will be ashamed.

You, LORD, have helped me and comforted me.

No comments: