Thursday, June 19, 2008

Prayer

A Prayer for Protection

Psalm 17

A PRAYER OF DAVID.

1LORD, hear me begging for fairness;

listen to my cry for help.

Pay attention to my prayer,

because I speak the truth.

2You will judge that I am right;

your eyes can see what is true.

3You have examined my heart;

you have tested me all night.

You questioned me without finding anything wrong;

I have not sinned with my mouth.

4I have obeyed your commands,

so I have not done what evil people do.

5I have done what you told me;

I have not failed.

6I call to you, God,

and you answer me.

Listen to me now,

and hear what I say.

7Your love is wonderful.

By your power you save those who trust you

from their enemies.

8Protect me as you would protect your own eye.

Hide me under the shadow of your wings.

9Keep me from the wicked who attack me,

from my enemies who surround me.

10They are selfish

and brag about themselves.

11They have chased me until they have surrounded me.

They plan to throw me to the ground.

12They are like lions ready to kill;

like lions, they sit in hiding.

13LORD, rise up, face the enemy, and throw them down.

Save me from the wicked with your sword.

14LORD, save me by your power

from those whose reward is in this life.

They have plenty of food.

They have many sons

and leave much money to their children.

15Because I have lived right, I will see your face.

When I wake up, I will see your likeness and be satisfied.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Prayer for the King

Psalm 20

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. A PSALM OF DAVID.

1May the LORD answer you in times of trouble.

May the God of Jacob protect you.

2May he send you help from his Temple

and support you from Mount Zion.

3May he remember all your offerings

and accept all your sacrifices.

Selah

4May he give you what you want

and make all your plans succeed,

5and we will shout for joy when you succeed,

and we will raise a flag in the name of our God.

May the LORD give you all that you ask for.

6Now I know the LORD helps his appointed king.

He answers him from his holy heaven

and saves him with his strong right hand.

7Some trust in chariots, others in horses,

but we trust the LORD our God.

8They are overwhelmed and defeated,

but we march forward and win.

9LORD, save the king!

Answer us when we call for help.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Cry for Help

Psalm 102

A PRAYER OF A PERSON WHO IS SUFFERING WHEN HE IS
DISCOURAGED AND TELLS THE
LORD HIS COMPLAINTS.

1LORD, listen to my prayer;

let my cry for help come to you.

2Do not hide from me

in my time of trouble.

Pay attention to me.

When I cry for help, answer me quickly.

3My life is passing away like smoke,

and my bones are burned up with fire.

4My heart is like grass

that has been cut and dried.

I forget to eat.

5Because of my grief,

my skin hangs on my bones.

6I am like a desert owl,

like an owl living among the ruins.

7I lie awake.

I am like a lonely bird on a housetop.

8All day long enemies insult me;

those who make fun of me use my name as a curse.

9I eat ashes for food,

and my tears fall into my drinks.

10Because of your great anger,

you have picked me up and thrown me away.

11My days are like a passing shadow;

I am like dried grass.

12But, LORD, you rule forever,

and your fame goes on and on.

13You will come and have mercy on Jerusalem,

because the time has now come to be kind to her;

the right time has come.

14Your servants love even her stones;

they even care about her dust.

15Nations will fear the name of the LORD,

and all the kings on earth will honor you.

16The LORD will rebuild Jerusalem;

there his glory will be seen.

17He will answer the prayers of the needy;

he will not reject their prayers.

18Write these things for the future

so that people who are not yet born will praise the LORD.

19The LORD looked down from his holy place above;

from heaven he looked down at the earth.

20He heard the moans of the prisoners,

and he freed those sentenced to die.

21The name of the LORD will be heard in Jerusalem;

his praise will be heard there.

22People will come together,

and kingdoms will serve the LORD.

23God has made me tired of living;

he has cut short my life.

24So I said, “My God, do not take me in the middle of my life.

Your years go on and on.

25In the beginning you made the earth,

and your hands made the skies.

26They will be destroyed, but you will remain.

They will all wear out like clothes.

And, like clothes, you will change them

and throw them away.

27But you never change,

and your life will never end.

28Our children will live in your presence,

and their children will remain with you.”

No comments: