Friday, June 20, 2008

Protection

A Prayer for Protection

Psalm 59

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. TO THE TUNE OF “DO NOT DESTROY.”
A MIKTAM OF DAVID WHEN SAUL SENT MEN TO WATCH DAVID’S
HOUSE TO KILL HIM.

1God, save me from my enemies.

Protect me from those who come against me.

2Save me from those who do evil

and from murderers.

3Look, men are waiting to ambush me.

Cruel men attack me,

but I have not sinned or done wrong, LORD.

4I have done nothing wrong, but they are ready to attack me.

Wake up to help me, and look.

5You are the LORD God All-Powerful, the God of Israel.

Arise and punish those people.

Do not give those traitors any mercy.

Selah

6They come back at night.

Like dogs they growl and roam around the city.

7Notice what comes from their mouths.

Insults come from their lips,

because they say, “Who’s listening?”

8But, LORD, you laugh at them;

you make fun of all of them.

9God, my strength, I am looking to you,

because God is my defender.

10My God loves me, and he goes in front of me.

He will help me defeat my enemies.

11Lord, our protector, do not kill them, or my people will forget.

With your power scatter them and defeat them.

12They sin by what they say;

they sin with their words.

They curse and tell lies,

so let their pride trap them.

13Destroy them in your anger;

destroy them completely!

Then they will know

that God rules over Israel

and to the ends of the earth.

Selah

14They come back at night.

Like dogs they growl

and roam around the city.

15They wander about looking for food,

and they howl if they do not find enough.

16But I will sing about your strength.

In the morning I will sing about your love.

You are my defender,

my place of safety in times of trouble.

17God, my strength, I will sing praises to you.

God, my defender, you are the God who loves me.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

Trust Only in God

Psalm 62

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. FOR JEDUTHUN. A PSALM OF DAVID.

1I find rest in God;

only he can save me.

2He is my rock and my salvation.

He is my defender;

I will not be defeated.

3How long will you attack someone?

Will all of you kill that person?

Who is like a leaning wall, like a fence ready to fall?

4They are planning to make that person fall.

They enjoy telling lies.

With their mouths they bless,

but in their hearts they curse.

Selah

5I find rest in God;

only he gives me hope.

6He is my rock and my salvation.

He is my defender;

I will not be defeated.

7My honor and salvation come from God.

He is my mighty rock and my protection.

8People, trust God all the time.

Tell him all your problems,

because God is our protection.

Selah

9The least of people are only a breath,

and even the greatest are just a lie.

On the scales, they weigh nothing;

together they are only a breath.

10Do not trust in force.

Stealing is of no use.

Even if you gain more riches,

don’t put your trust in them.

11God has said this,

and I have heard it over and over:

God is strong.

12The Lord is loving.

You reward people for what they have done.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

The Lord Saves His People

Psalm 124

A SONG FOR GOING UP TO WORSHIP. OF DAVID.

1What if the LORD had not been on our side?

(Let Israel repeat this.)

2What if the LORD had not been on our side

when we were attacked?

3When they were angry with us,

they would have swallowed us alive.

4They would have been like a flood drowning us;

they would have poured over us like a river.

5They would have swept us away like a mighty stream.

6Praise the LORD,

who did not let them chew us up.

7We escaped like a bird

from the hunter’s trap.

The trap broke,

and we escaped.

8Our help comes from the LORD,

who made heaven and earth.

No comments: