Saturday, June 21, 2008

Safety in God

Trust in the Lord

Psalm 11

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. OF DAVID.

1I trust in the LORD for protection.

So why do you say to me,

“Fly like a bird to your mountain.

2Like hunters, the wicked string their bows;

they set their arrows on the bowstrings.

They shoot from dark places

at those who are honest.

3When all that is good falls apart,

what can good people do?”

4The LORD is in his holy temple;

the LORD sits on his throne in heaven.

He sees what people do;

he keeps his eye on them.

5The LORD tests those who do right,

but he hates the wicked and those who love to hurt others.

6He will send hot coals and burning sulfur on the wicked.

A whirlwind is what they will get.

7The LORD does what is right, and he loves justice,

so honest people will see his face.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

The Lord Takes Care of His People

Psalm 16

A MIKTAM OF DAVID.

1Protect me, God,

because I trust in you.

2I said to the LORD, “You are my Lord.

Every good thing I have comes from you.”

3As for the godly people in the world,

they are the wonderful ones I enjoy.

4But those who turn to idols

will have much pain.

I will not offer blood to those idols

or even speak their names.

5No, the LORD is all I need.

He takes care of me.

6My share in life has been pleasant;

my part has been beautiful.

7I praise the LORD because he advises me.

Even at night, I feel his leading.

8I keep the LORD before me always.

Because he is close by my side,

I will not be hurt.

9So I rejoice and am glad.

Even my body has hope,

10because you will not leave me in the grave.

You will not let your holy one rot.

11You will teach me how to live a holy life.

Being with you will fill me with joy;

at your right hand I will find pleasure forever.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Prayer for Safety

Psalm 142

A MASKIL OF DAVID WHEN HE WAS IN THE CAVE. A PRAYER.

1I cry out to the LORD;

I pray to the LORD for mercy.

2I pour out my problems to him;

I tell him my troubles.

3When I am afraid,

you, LORD, know the way out.

In the path where I walk,

a trap is hidden for me.

4Look around me and see.

No one cares about me.

I have no place of safety;

no one cares if I live.

5LORD, I cry out to you.

I say, “You are my protection.

You are all I want in this life.”

6Listen to my cry,

because I am helpless.

Save me from those who are chasing me,

because they are too strong for me.

7Free me from my prison,

and then I will praise your name.

Then good people will surround me,

because you have taken care of me.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

God Protects His People

Psalm 46

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. BY ALAMOTH. A PSALM OF THE SONS
OF KORAH.

1God is our protection and our strength.

He always helps in times of trouble.

2So we will not be afraid even if the earth shakes,

or the mountains fall into the sea,

3even if the oceans roar and foam,

or the mountains shake at the raging sea.

Selah

4There is a river that brings joy to the city of God,

the holy place where God Most High lives.

5God is in that city, and so it will not be shaken.

God will help her at dawn.

6Nations tremble and kingdoms shake.

God shouts and the earth crumbles.

7The LORD All-Powerful is with us;

the God of Jacob is our defender.

Selah

8Come and see what the LORD has done,

the amazing things he has done on the earth.

9He stops wars everywhere on the earth.

He breaks all bows and spears

and burns up the chariots with fire.

10God says, “Be quiet and know that I am God.

I will be supreme over all the nations;

I will be supreme in the earth.”

11The LORD All-Powerful is with us;

the God of Jacob is our defender.

Selah

No comments: