Sunday, June 22, 2008

Rejoicing

Thanksgiving for Escaping Death

Psalm 30

A PSALM OF DAVID. A SONG FOR GIVING THE TEMPLE TO THE
LORD.

1I will praise you, LORD,

because you rescued me.

You did not let my enemies laugh at me.

2LORD, my God, I prayed to you,

and you healed me.

3You lifted me out of the grave;

you spared me from going down to the place of the dead.

4Sing praises to the LORD, you who belong to him;

praise his holy name.

5His anger lasts only a moment,

but his kindness lasts for a lifetime.

Crying may last for a night,

but joy comes in the morning.

6When I felt safe, I said,

“I will never fear.”

7LORD, in your kindness you made my mountain safe.

But when you turned away, I was frightened.

8I called to you, LORD,

and asked you to have mercy on me.

9I said, “What good will it do if I die

or if I go down to the grave?

Dust cannot praise you;

it cannot speak about your truth.

10LORD, hear me and have mercy on me.

LORD, help me.”

11You changed my sorrow into dancing.

You took away my clothes of sadness,

and clothed me in happiness.

12I will sing to you and not be silent.

LORD, my God, I will praise you forever.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

God, the King of the World

Psalm 47

FOR THE DIRECTOR OF MUSIC. A PSALM OF THE SONS OF KORAH.

1Clap your hands, all you people.

Shout to God with joy.

2The LORD Most High is wonderful.

He is the great King over all the earth!

3He defeated nations for us

and put them under our control.

4He chose the land we would inherit.

We are the children of Jacob, whom he loved.

Selah

5God has risen with a shout of joy;

the LORD has risen as the trumpets sounded.

6Sing praises to God. Sing praises.

Sing praises to our King. Sing praises.

7God is King of all the earth,

so sing a song of praise to him.

8God is King over the nations.

God sits on his holy throne.

9The leaders of the nations meet

with the people of the God of Abraham,

because the leaders of the earth belong to God.

He is supreme.

Title: The Holy Bible, New Century Version

A Hymn About the Lord’s Power

Psalm 97

1The LORD is king. Let the earth rejoice;

faraway lands should be glad.

2Thick, dark clouds surround him.

His kingdom is built on what is right and fair.

3A fire goes before him

and burns up his enemies all around.

4His lightning lights up the world;

when the people see it, they tremble.

5The mountains melt like wax before the LORD,

before the Lord of all the earth.

6The heavens tell about his goodness,

and all the people see his glory.

7Those who worship idols should be ashamed;

they brag about their gods.

All the gods should worship the LORD.

8When Jerusalem hears this, she is glad,

and the towns of Judah rejoice.

They are happy because of your judgments, LORD.

9You are the LORD Most High over all the earth;

you are supreme over all gods.

10People who love the LORD hate evil.

The LORD watches over those who follow him

and frees them from the power of the wicked.

11Light shines on those who do right;

joy belongs to those who are honest.

12Rejoice in the LORD, you who do right.

Praise his holy name.

No comments: